GMB’s appointment of Alastair Campbell criticised by TV critic
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Alastair Campbell has previously been confirmed to be stepping in to host Good Morning Britain alongside Susanna Reid following Piers Morgan’s exit. The former Labour MP has now spoken out about he plans to approach his role on the ITV news programme.
The 63-year-old will join Susanna during Mental Health Awareness Week – which starts Monday – and has shared his desire to do “something big”.
As government politicians seemingly boycotted GMB last year, the former adviser branded the moves as “self-defeating”.
He has also made it clear that he wants to take the hotseat but without the “squabbles and shouting”.
Writing in a new column, Alastair penned: “I am looking forward to interviewing politicians on all sides.
“My week is the one following the local elections so even without Covid-19 and the continuing controversy over funding and flats, the political scene will be hot.”
He continued: “One of the most important elements of our democracy is that ministers and their shadows should be subject to scrutiny and questioning and I thought it was self-defeating for the government to have their long boycott of certain programmes, including Good Morning Britain.
“Ministers should never fear robust questioning but I also know how much most people hate it when things descend into squabbles or shouting.”
Alastair added in the Independent: “And though I may have strong views, I also think one of the worst things about the nature of our debate, exacerbated by social media, is that we don’t want to engage properly with people who have different views.”
The former political adviser’s comments come after ex-GMB host Piers issued a warning over the news of the Labour MP’s role.
Following the announcement, Alastair shared a series of photos of himself rehearsing in the GMB studio.
Alongside the snaps, the writer informed his followers that he was “not the new Piers Morgan”.
Alastair’s post was quickly retweeted by GMB’s official account, as they welcomed him to the show’s team of presenters.
‘It’s been tough’ Jane McDonald returns to Instagram for first time[LATEST]
Susanna Reid causes stir on GMB in tight low-cut dress[PICTURES]
A Place In The Sun’s Laura Hamilton halts shoot after discovery[EXCLUSIVE]
The caption read: “Welcome to the team! We can’t wait for some fiery debates, don’t hold back.”
Piers shared that getting into heated debates on GMB was not advisable in his experience, following his exit in March.
Addressing his replacement, the star shared GMB’s post and penned: “I’d hold back @campbellclaret..”
Piers left the show after sparking backlash from viewers over his controversial views on Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey.
He was criticised for disbelieving the Duchess of Sussex when she opened up about experiencing suicidal thoughts after joining the Royal Family.
Alastair has revealed he is excited to be taking on the role of main presenter but isn’t so keen on the early morning wake up call.
He told Mirror Online he is “flattered” to be hosting during Mental Health Awareness Week.
However, Alastair said he is “totally dreading” getting up so early in the morning.
Good Morning Britain airs weekdays on ITV at 6am.
Source: Read Full Article