Pensioner choked to death on Christmas dinner in front of his family

A pensioner choked on his Christmas dinner and died in front of horrified family members.

Brian Marshall, 72, was tucking into his roast but began choking on an unknown bit of food shortly after sitting down with his family at 4pm for Christmas dinner .

Despite the efforts of his sister, nephews and nieces, who performed the Heimlich manoeuvre on him, Mr Marshall lost consciousness.

Paramedics and an air ambulance team dashed to his nephew's home in Havant, Hants, and tried to save Mr Marshall using CPR but were unsuccessful.

Mr Marshall's sister Mary Hemley, from the nearby village of Cowplain, said the six family members and friends who were gathered at the house have been distraught since.

  • EuroMillions winner Jane Park looks unrecognisable in 10 year throwback photo

  • Schoolgirl, 10, dies in hospital after being hit by ambulance

The 67-year-old said: "We had only just sat down for lunch and Brian began choking on something.

"He looked at me and I could see he was obviously in trouble – I asked if he was alright and he shook his head to say no.

"He passed out soon after. He wasn't breathing, so my youngest son, who is 40, started doing CPR until the ambulance and air ambulance arrived.

"They were with us for about 45 minutes but he didn't make it."

  • TV presenter gives birth to baby boy after 15 rounds of IVF costing £80,000

Just hours before his last meal, a Christmas spread of lamb and roast beef, Brian was mingling with loved ones and exchanging Christmas presents.

Mrs Hemley said she is so upset she will not celebrate Christmas again for fear of reigniting the tragic memories that followed.

She added: "I'm not doing Christmas again. Time is a great healer but what happened is just horrible."

Brian, a great uncle to Mary's grandchildren, worked as a draughtsman for most of his life.

Mary said: "He had a dry sense of humour and always knew how to make people laugh.

"Brian had been through a lot in his life but he was a proper fighter and this is such a tragedy. I don't think I'll ever get over what happened."

The family thanked South Central Ambulance Service and the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance which attended the scene.

Mrs Hemley said: "They worked so hard to bring him back and never gave up."

Source: Read Full Article