VOMITING, diarrhoea and fever are all symptoms we rightly fear.
They are key signs of salmonella, but how do you know if you've caught the bug?
Salmonella is in the spot light this week after a dozen people in the UK were been left in hospital with the bug after eating a rogue batch of pork scratchings.
Supermarkets have announced emergency recalls as Public Health England and the Food Standards Agency urged people not to eat packets with a best-before date up to February 2022.
The dodgy pork products were made at a factory in Bolton, Lancs, run by the Tayto Group, Britain’s largest snack producer.
Public Health England said 176 people have fallen ill with salmonella poisoning — with "at least 12" needing hospital treatment.
There have been cases all over the country.
Tayto Group have apologised for the inconvenience – but here's everything you need to know about the bug.
What is salmonella?
Salmonella is a bacteria that can cause food poisoning.
It gets its name from the man who discovered it some 125 years ago – an American scientist named Dr Salmon.
The illness people get from a salmonella infection is called salmonellosis.
Anyone can get sick from the bug, but young kids, elderly people, pregnant women and others with weakened immune systems such cancer sufferers are especially vulnerable.
What are the symptoms of poisoning?
Some of the symptoms of the bug are similar to Covid-19.
The NHS says the main three symptoms of the virus are a new persistent cough, a high temperature and a loss of taste and smell. But some people who have had Covid have also experienced vomiting and diarrhoea.
If you think you may actually have Covid – then it's important to take a test. The government advises that everyone takes a lateral flow test twice a week.
Salmonellosis develops after ingesting salmonella bacteria, symptoms usually take between 12 and 72 hours to develop.
Typical symptoms of infection include diarrhoea, stomach cramps and sometimes vomiting and fever.
Symptoms tend to last between four and seven days and will not require treatment – although in extreme cases sufferers need hospital care for the resulting dehydration, which can be dangerous.
People infected with salmonella should remember to drink plenty of fluids.
Doctors may recommend a rehydration solution from a pharmacy, and in some cases, antibiotics are necessary.
How is salmonella spread?
Salmonella is usually spread in contaminated food that is not properly prepared before eating.
The bacteria lives in the gut of many farm animals, such as chickens, so meat and eggs must be properly cooked to ensure it is killed.
Fruit, veg and shellfish can also be contaminated by manure in soil or sewage in water, so they must be properly washed and/or cooked.
Tortoises, terrapins and pet reptiles can carry the bacteria, while dogs, cats and rodents can also sometimes become infected.
And salmonella can be passed from person to person by poor hygiene.
Failing to wash your hands after visiting the toilet or preparing food such as raw chicken can allow it to spread.
Those suffering from salmonellosis are also extremely contagious.
Source: Read Full Article